Cybersecurity Hiring: Competency vs Education?

by | Federal Jobs, Job Search

Recently, the Federal Government has decided to take a page out of Silicon Valley’s book in hopes of copying the success within the large agencies. As a result, they’ll be re-evaluating hiring qualifications, especially within the field of cybersecurity.

Tech companies in Silicon Valley and elsewhere have begun to get rid of certain education requirements… Because they know it’s possible for someone to become a cybersecurity expert without earning an advanced degree—or any degree.

Recently, OPM did an analysis and found that 27% of federal job classifications needed an upfront education requirement. So, for the other 73%, OPM will work closely with other federal agencies to set up skills assessments that can identify qualified applications. This should make it easier to recruit and hire qualified people who might not have a college degree.

Do you have what it takes to be a cybersecurity professional?

With these changes, you may not need to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, cybersecurity or a related field to qualify for these jobs. Instead, agencies may accept relevant experience with industry certifications. Or, you may qualify for certain jobs with just entry-level experience in general IT or security. This is great news for a lot of people!

For an active list of open cybersecurity positions in the Federal Government, you can go to the USAJOBS website. Then, just search for the term “cybersecurity” under Keywords.

We’ve helped many clients—Federal AND Private Sector—showcase their cybersecurity strengths and talent, without traditional degrees. Our page 1 strategy will show your value in the best way possible to attract the Six Audiences™. And most importantly, it will make them want to call you to set up an interview!

You can check out the whole article from OPM, here.

And, you can set up a free consultation with our team here.

Camille Roberts
Follow Me
Latest posts by Camille Roberts (see all)